For Immediate Release:
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624, cell 202-904-7614,
Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805, firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Party candidates and activists prepare for the 'Occupy May Day'
• 2012 Green Presidential Nominating Convention, July 12-15 in
Baltimore, Md. http://www.gpconvention2012.
Media Credentialing page http://www.gpconvention2012.
WASHINGTON, DC -- Green Party members will participate in the May 1
General Strike organized by the Occupy Movement and the May 1
Coalition and will join thousands of union members, students,
immigrants, and others across the US in the first national strike in
the nation's history, with simultaneous strikes in other countries.
Rallies, marches, and picket lines are planned for over 115 cities to
assert the rights of working people and democracy, in the face of
growing power of financial elites over government and the lives of the
"99 percent" and the threat this represents to the future of the US.
"The Occupy Movement is nonpartisan and is not affiliated with any
political party, including the Green Party. But the presence of Greens
in Occupy protests, including the May Day strike, is a reminder that
the demands of the Occupy Movement will be represented on the ballot
on Election Day. They won't be represented by the Wall Street
candidates -- Republicans and Democrats -- but by Green candidates,
who accept no money from corporate PACs," said Ursula Rozum, peace
activist and organizer in Syracuse, NY, and Green Party candidate for
Congress in New York's 24th Congressional district
Green candidates running for office at every level, from city council
to Congress and the White House, are basing their campaigns on the
Green New Deal (http://www.greenpartywatch.
and calling for the following:
• Abolition of student loan debt: The Green Party endorsed 1TDay, the
national day of action to break the link between higher education and
Wall Street, marking the day on which the total amount of student loan
debt in the US surpassed trillion dollars (http://1tday.org /
• An immediate halt to home foreclosures
• Democratic workplaces, democratic unions, and strengthened rights
for working Americans, including job security, benefits, and liveable
wages; repeal of Taft-Hartley restrictions on workplace organizing
• Immigrants' rights: legalization for undocumented immigrants and an
end to raids and deportations
• Money for jobs, education, and the social safety net, instead of
wars and military contracts
• An end to the War on Drugs, criminalization of youth and people of
color, and the for-profit prison system
• Creation of millions of new jobs in conservation, conversion from
fossil fuels to clean energy, retrofitting of homes and buildings for
energy efficiency, and other public works projects to stem the advance
of climate change
• Medicare For All (single-payer national health care) and
preservation of Social Security, without privatization or postponed
• Justice for the victims of Wall Street: full investigation and
prosecution of financial institutions whose fraud and recklessness
triggered the 2008 economic meltdown; restoration of Glass-Steagall
and other regulatory protections; break-up of "too big to fail" banks
• Repeal of 'corporate personhood' and the Supreme Court's Citizens
United ruling: an end to the influence of corporate PAC money on
The Green Party has had an active and sustained presence in the Occupy
Movement, with Greens among the movement's leadership. Green
presidential candidates Jill Stein (http://www.jillstein.org) and
Roseanne Barr (http://www.
In California, the Green Party of Alameda County has endorsed Occupy
Oakland's May Day strike and related events
) and will participate in the "March for Dignity and Resistance"
gubernatorial candidate Laura Wells and others will challenge Gov.
Jerry Brown on the budget
/ see also http://laurawellssolutions.
The Green Party of New York State and Park Slope Greens have endorsed
Occupy Wall Street's May 1 General Strike actions
(http://maydaynyc.org). In Rochester, NY, Drew Langdon, a local Green
and cooperative advocate, will lead a teach-in on worker cooperatives,
and other Greens, including former mayoral and council candidate Alex
White, are helping to organize May Day actions
In Washington, DC, DC Statehood Greens plan to participate in the
march. Party member Darryl! Moch, who is also a co-chair of the
national Green Party, will perform with the DC Labor Chorus and the
Charm City Labor Chorus in DC and Baltimore respectively at Occupy
events on May Day. Bill Barry, three-time Green candidate for City
Council, will speak at the Baltimore demonstration
May 1st Coalition: Unionize, Legalize, Organize
May Day Directory: Occupy General Strike In Over 115 Cities
Strike Everywhere: General Global Strike
Occupy May Day: Facebook page
Green Party of the United States http://www.gp.org
• 2012 Green Party Presidential Nominating Convention, July 12-15 in
Baltimore, Md. http://www.gpconvention2012.
• Green candidate database and campaign information:
• News Center http://www.gp.org/newscenter.
• Speakers Bureau http://www.gp.org/speakers
• Ballot Access Page http://www.gp.org/ballotstatus
• Video Page http://www.gp.org/video/index.
• Green Papers http://www.greenpapers.net
• Google+ http://www.gp.org/google
• Twitter http://twitter.com/gpus
• Livestream Channel http://www.livestream.com/
• GP-TV Twitter page http://www.gp.org/twitter
• Facebook page http://www.gp.org/facebook
Green Pages: The official publication of record of the Green Party of
the United States