GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, cell 202-904-7614, firstname.lastname@example.org
Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805, email@example.com
'GreenStream Wednesday', March 2: Green Party livestream show to feature Cynthia McKinney, Jared Ball
• Green Party Livestream Channel: http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus
WASHINGTON, DC -- The Green Party's online livestream show 'GreenStream Wednesday' will feature Cynthia McKinney, the party's 2008 presidential nominee, and journalist Jared Ball on Wednesday evening, March 1, 10:00 pm ET, 7:00 pm PT.
Along with discussion between the two guests, the one-hour show will present Green news, interviews, video clips, and viewer participation.
Viewers can tune in at http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus or go to http://www.livestream.com and enter the channel name: greenpartyus. The channel is also accessible at the Green Party's video page (http://www.gp.org/video/index.php).
The first show, which aired on February 23, featured interviews with Wisconsin Green Party leaders on the protests in their state against Gov. Scott Walker's budget plan that would cut benefits and abolish collective bargaining. The guests were Tony Palmeri, elected Green member of the Oshkosh City Council; Amy Mondloch, Executive Director of the Grassroots Leadership College in Madison (http://www.grassrootsleadershipcollege.org) and a long-time Green Party activist; and AJ Segneri, co-chair of the Wisconsin Green Party (http://www.wisconsingreenparty.org). They were interviewed by Starlene Rankin and Craig Seeman of the Green Party's Media Committee. The show, with video clips of the Wisconsin protests, continued for a half hour beyond its scheduled one-hour time.
To participate in the ongoing discussion in the chat window during the show, viewers can log in to Livestream or can join the chat as a nonmember guest. Viewers can register for a free Livestream account by clicking on 'Sign Up' at the top of the page, but membership is not necessary to watch the broadcast. The shows are repeated in rotation after the initial broadcast and are archived on the Green Party Livestream Channel web site.
Guest bios for March 2:
• Cynthia McKinney served six terms in the US House of Representatives as a Democrat before joining the Green Party in 2007 and becoming the Green Party's 2008 candidate for President. Since 2008, Ms. McKinney has been a champion of Palestinian Rights and a supporter of the Free Gaza movement. In 2009, she was one of 21 activists on a Free Gaza relief ship that was rammed and taken captive by the Israeli Navy. She was held by the Israeli’s for 5 days. In 2010, Ms. McKinney participated in portions of the Bike4Peace event from San Francisco to Washington, DC.
• Jared Ball is assistant professor of communication studies at Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland, where his research interests include the interaction between colonialism, mass media theory and history, and the development of alternative/underground journalism and cultural expression as mechanisms of social movements and political organization. He is founder and producer of 'FreeMix Radio: The Original Mixtape Radio Show' and former editor for the first academic journal dedicated to hip-hop, 'The Global Journal of Hip-Hop Culture'. He briefly sought the Green Party nomination for President in 2008 before pulling out and endorsing Cynthia McKinney. Mr. Ball is host of 'Midday Jazz: Jazz & Justice' on WPFW (89.3 FM) every Monday, 1 to 3 pm ET.
Green Party of the United States http://www.gp.org
• Green candidate database and campaign information: http://www.gp.org/elections.shtml
• News Center http://www.gp.org/newscenter.shtml
• Speakers Bureau http://www.gp.org/speakers
• Ballot Access Page http://www.gp.org/ballotstatus
• Livestream Channel http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus
• Video Page http://www.gp.org/video/index.php
"'GreenStream Wednesday' debuts Feb. 23: Green Party online show will feature Green news, interviews, videos, and viewer participation every Wednesday"
Green Party advisory, February 22, 2011
Green Pages: The official publication of record of the Green Party of the United States (Fall 2010 issue now online)