Wednesday, June 18, 2008

From Cynthia McKinney: Please help me qualify for matching funds

Hello my friends,

I am writing to thank you for your sustained support for my campaign and to urge you to give me an extra boost in the next three weeks to help me qualify for federal matching campaign funds.

I have long supported public funding in all aspects of our campaigns, but now we really have the opportunity to participate in the power of public funding. However, that participation can only happen when the Power to the People Campaign has demonstrated its broad appeal in at least 20 states with each having raised $5,000 where the first $250 of each contribution is matchable. In other words, in order to qualify for public matching funds, you've got to qualify me.

I have traveled to 24 states and I've heard from many of you. I've tried to put a foundation in place for the Power to the People Committee. But the fact is that I want to be able to give you the kind of campaign that you all deserve and that I envisioned, but that takes money to buy the yard signs and handbills, pay the airfare necessary for my travels, and to meet the payroll necessary to staff the campaign.

To meet our campaign needs in the new and exciting period ahead, we have to turn the corner on our finances -- and the first step in this direction is raising at least $5,000 in each of at least 20 states to qualify for federal matching funds. So far, we have only met this objective in seven states -- though 11 additional states are well on their way toward that goal. The deadline for raising these funds is July 12th.

My campaign is not funded by the military-industrial-financial-media complex, nor the energy, pharmaceutical or other corporate interests that bankroll the parties of war: the Democrats and Republicans. I can only count on you, the people who produce the wealth in this country, to finance my campaign.

I need your support to get out the political message of our Power to the People campaign to voters all across the country.

The message of our campaign is necessary now, more than ever: Congress is on the verge of caving in on more funding for the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan; our country bombs Somalia and Pakistan with impunity and none of the major party contenders mentions it; the American people are losing their homes at a record pace, Congress is yet to offer a solution; and our country is even more mired in debt. Our platform is the only one that genuinely addresses the needs and aspirations for real change that have been expressed by voters nationwide.

With your help, we can achieve our goal of raising the $100,000 in 20 states needed to obtain the federal matching funds. Please go to our website today (http://www.runcynthiarun.org) and make as generous a donation as you can. Then send all your friends, coworkers, and neighbors to this site, asking that they match or exceed your donation. I do believe in the power of the people.

Please help me put this first campaign milestone behind us, so we can get the Power to the People campaign on every ballot possible nationwide -- so that we can provide a genuine alternative to the No Impeachment, War Parties and their candidates. Our communities deserve so much more and the Power to the People campaign is ready to deliver. Your donation now will help us deliver with an impact. Thank you in advance for your contribution to this effort.

In struggle and solidarity,
Cynthia McKinney,
Presidential Candidate,
Power to the People Campaign

No comments: